Tuesday, July 9, 2013

190: our adventure awaits...

WARNING: Lots of pictures in the next several posts!








And so our journey begins!  
We were up and on the road by 6:00 a.m. We had an 8:25 a.m. flight to catch from San Diego to Denver. It was a quick, 2 hour flight. Mom Geddie was there to greet us and take us to our car rental place in Thornton {the city where they live}. I decided to take the boys on a little roadtrip before we visited Grandma & Grandpa Geddie and all the cousins. We were in our rental and on the road to Nebraska by 1:30 p.m. {an hour ahead of my schedule}. We had about a 3 hour drive to Gering, NE, through Wyoming.  I love the open road. We pulled in to Gering and Scottsbluff National Monument by 4:30 {it closed at 5:00}. We were able to get to the top of the mountain and take some pictures before it closed. We also got to take a short walk along the Oregon Trail, or Mormon Trail as some called it. It was a very quiet and peaceful valley, and we kinda stuck out with our flip flops and beachy apparel. Thank goodness for the X-shot, because there were very few people around. We made the very most out of our 30 minutes and before a good ole' midwestern storm rolled in. It was a perfect day, until we tried to check into our hotel. Gering is not a big town and there are not many options, but I reserved well in advanced.  Unfortunately, they couldn't find my reservation anywhere in the computer and I had failed to bring it with me, thinking I could just pull it up on my phone {which I couldn't}. Believe it or not, every hotel in the town was full. They almost sent us to the YMCA..I'd rather sleep in my car, but I think she saw how tired we were and the despair on our faces and she was able to talk to some "regulars" and get them to share a double room, freeing up a room for us.  They quickly cleaned it, we stopped at KFC for dinner, and then called it a night! That night there was an amazing electrical storm. I just sat at my window and watched the sky light up and the thunder crash and the rain come pouring down! This is what it's all about! Stepping out of your comfort zone, into a world of new adventures! 

No comments: