Tuesday, January 11, 2011

11: the cookbook

I just love it when Skyler informs me that a project is due in a couple days. "When did you know about it?", is my first question. "We got the paper before Christmas". "And I'm just hearing about it now..2 days before it's due?" My first thought is to tell him to have fun with that one, and good luck. Then I begin to lecture about taking personal responsibility for his own projects. But like usual, he's the smart one. He knows if he waits till the last minute, Jim and I will rush in to save him. It's all about the big picture: if he does poorly in middle school, he'll probably continue doing poorly in high school. If he does poorly in high school, he won't get into a good college. If he doesn't go to college then we're stuck with him. I know all you good parents out there are thinking: "He needs to learn the hard way!" yeah, yeah, yeah...we think that too, till the last minute when we end up helping/doing the project.
This one was no different! There were 33 choices of projects. I picked the one that could best be done last minute: cooking an egyptian item. We assembled a cookbook (cut and pasted recipes) and bound them in a nice little book.

No comments: