Wednesday, January 12, 2011

12: cooking egyptian


Now comes the cooking part, which Skyler actually did! In fact, he knew how to make carmel better than me. He made carmel covered walnuts from Cleopatra. I searched every market in Temecula for "orange blossom water" with no luck, so I googled up substitutes. The closest thing I could get was marinating orange zest in white wine for 24 hours. Not realizing till all the desserts were made, that I never cooked out the alcohol {which wasn't in the directions}, I basically just contributed to minors.
Disclaimer: we used about 1TBL. of the liquid to make a paste and only used about a small
gumball size of the paste for 20 walnut desserts. I think I'm safe!
Find the recipe here

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Putting aside the fact that you juiced up your family, how were the walnuts?