Thursday, September 2, 2010

two hundred forty-five:365

A very tough life lesson was learned tonight for Jayden!
Jump back 1 week ago..Jayden came home from school with a blank coloring page from Rubios. He sat right down and got to work. He didn't want to play outside with friends, he didn't want to go to TaeKwonDo. He was so focused and determined. Jayden is the artist of our family. He can spend hours drawing, so we believed he had this contest in the bag. It's the first time I've heard him so confident. After talking to me about never winning anything, he was very confident and sure about his work and said, "mom, I really think I'm going to win this contest!" So everyday I asked him if he had heard anything at school. Nothing. Every night in our prayers we prayed that Jayden could finally win something!! The teacher was to choose 2 winners from each class. The winners would win a $7 gift certificate to Rubios and their picture would be posted in the restaurant for our schools' Family Night. I guess that's how they revealed the winners too. Jayden saw all the pictures on the wall and wouldn't even walk into the restaurant because he was too nervous. Finally he walked over to see if his was up there. Moments later, Jayden came back to our table, layed his head on my lap, tried to hold back tears but then started to cry. He was so upset! It just broke my heart to see him so sad when I knew just how hard he had worked. Even worse, the 2 that were choosen (both girls) were not any better than his, if I do say so myself.
I let him know how very proud I was of him for entering because that took courage! Also, 28 other kids from his class did not win either. It was a tough lesson for my sensitive 8 year old, but he got over it a little better with a special trip to yogurt island!

No comments: