Tuesday, February 5, 2013

36: buddy's home

While Buddy was in the hospital, I think I called about every 4 hours to see how he was doing. Every time they answered about the same..he wasn't vomiting anymore, but wouldn't eat. Then, as I was teaching at the kids school, I got the most glorious call!  Buddy was ready to be released!  I quickly finished what I was doing and checked Skyler out of school to come with me.  We were beyond excited to see him.  We had missed him so much the past couple of days.  When they brought him out, his tail was wagging and he was equally excited to see us! I was even more surprised when they said I was getting a refund because he hadn't stayed the full stay. We had to pay $1,800 up front..yikes, I know! Ask me 2 months ago if I would ever pay that much for a dog and I'd say you were crazy! We got about $300 back, but more importantly, they felt he was ready to come home!  He had a little bandage on his arm where the i.v. was and had medication that I had to give him.  He still looked very lethargic, but we had to give it time.
I didn't leave his side all day! Sadly though, when I tried to feed him, he threw it up.  Oh no! I thought he would only get better being surrounded by love. Anytime we gave him water or food {which he didn't each much of}, he threw it up. By 9:30 that night, Jim felt like we needed to take him back in to the pet hospital.  They decided not to keep him but instead gave him 3 injections: anti-nausea, antibiotic, and an injection of fluid.
Jim slept on the couch with him all night to monitor him. 
It was reassuring to me when I came down the next morning and he ran to me. I think he has turned the corner!!

No comments: