Monday, January 2, 2012

2: the 123rd tournament of roses parade

Highlights of the Rose Parade..so glad Tella came and joined us! It wouldn't be the same without you!
It is tradition that I go and stake our spot 2 days before the actual parade. It's tedious, but necessary. This year I was rewarded greatly for my service. Just as I had arrived at our spot {Saturday, Dec. 30th @ 10:30 a.m.} a nice elderly gentleman came up to me and asked me if I could use his grandstand seats! Having never seen the beginning of the parade, I jumped at the chance! These tickets are $90 a piece and I would never pay that to sit, sardine style, in the bleachers. The day of the parade, right before the start, Jim and I made our way to the seats. We felt so special, bypassing security and grabbing free donuts and hot cocoa and such. Little did we know that we were literally in the best seats in the place. In fact, during the opening number, the performers popped up 2 row ahead of us and started singing. We had to of made it on t.v. somewhere..the cameras were all over us! It was exciting, but the parade started and we wanted to get back to our family and friends. Those around us didn't quite understand why we'd leave 5 minutes into it. Little did they know, we actually had better seats somewhere else!

 At the end of the parade, the OCCUPY demonstrators were free to march. There were all walks of people, marching for some cause or another. I even saw a Hawaii Sovereignty protester..seriously, still? I don't think the above protester realized that he was at the beginning of a 5.5 mile walk! I had to laugh at his sign..in correlation to his size, yes, he is the 99%, literally!
{was that mean spirited..i'm sorry, but come on..I couldn't resist!}

No comments: