Sunday, October 23, 2011

296: monticello & montpelier

One of the many smashed penny machines I visited while traveling. I don't think Theresa could really understand the scope of my addiction until she lived it. I had a website that listed all the different machines within the state. It was my goal to get to as many as I could! She was patient! She did, however, seem to really embrace the license plate game. In fact, she even downloaded the license plate app onto her phone. It can also be a little addicting, especially when you're in an area where states are so close together and different plates are popping up all over. It all started when we saw an Alaska and Hawaii plate! By the end of the 1st day, we had over 28 plates!
 The search for the smashed penny lead us here, the U.S. Marine Museum at Quantico. It was actually a very cool place and so well done. Here is the  original flag from Iwo Jima. We also learned the significance of the tootsie roll in WWI. We ran through it quickly because we had lots to see that day!



We were headed to Monticello and saw signs leading to Montpelier, home of James Madison. We decided to check it out and I'm so glad we did. I knew he was a president, but that's about it. Come to learn that he was pretty much the father of the constitution! He had a fascinating life and contributed immensely to our country.



Next stop, Monticello, home to President Thomas Jefferson. It is just outside Charlottesville, Va. Another fascinating man who also authored the Declaration of Independence and Constitution. He was a great creator and loved his gardens, which are still maintained and beautiful. There were rows and rows of vegetables and flowers {which I found out go to the workers at Monticello}. It's interesting to note that despite his great successes, he died bankrupt.
Last, but certainly not least..I have complete toilet envy! Who would think one could love someones else's toilet? While at Theresa's brother in laws house, I went to use the restroom. This toilet had me at the very first flush! I immediately lifted the top off to see what kinda of machine could create such pressure. I knew I WANTED THIS, I NEEDED THIS! Basically it has the flush of a commercial grade toilet. Even the biggest of Jayden's masterpieces could not clog a toilet with this power. I immediately asked where they got these toilets. Greg, the brother in law, informed me that they were regular toilets with special innards that I could order from Home Depot and assemble ourselves. Don't think this isn't the first thing I'm going to do when I get home!! 
{I'm home and it was the very 1st thing I did Wednesday morning!}



No comments: