Sunday, February 19, 2012

50: two new amazing friends!

Here is the story of Jessica & Amy:
A few weeks ago a few of my girlfriends and I went to a running retreat in St. George: Run Like a Girl. It was an incredible event and we went up to the creators, who were from the Provo area, and said, "You need to bring this to the San Diego area!" They told us it was in their master plan to do it by next year. Two days after getting home, we received an email from Amy telling us that they had bumped up their expectations and wanted to do one this summer and asked for any help we could give them: looking up courses, finding possible venues and sponsors, seeing as they lived so far away. I'm not big in the running world and know very little about what makes a great run but I did offer them my hospitality and told them if they were ever in California for an exploratory mission, they were more than welcome to stay at my house! They quickly responded back and said, "Really? Are you sure, cuz we booked our flights for next week!" Absolutely, I told them. So two strangers were basically coming to stay with us! I was totally fine with it because I got a good vibe from them at the retreat {it didn't hurt either that they were LDS}. They arrived on Thursday and had tons of meetings planned during the days of their stay, but at night, we just talked till the wee hours and laughed and giggled like school girls!
They are kindred spirits. You would never guess that we had just met by the conversations we were having. It was one of those feelings like you'd known them your entire life! They will forever be friends!! They are amazing and talented women {Jessica, the one  with brown hair has 7 BOYS..yes, I said 7! and is a pro runner, and Amy is a fitness fanatic teaching Zumba and boot camps and all other sorts of classes, not to mention, she was the mastermind behind Run Like a Girl.} I'm so excited about the upcoming event they are planning and I look forward to many more fun times with these girls!

My nephew Michael gave his farewell talk today in Glendora! Sadly, I wasn't able to make it up but Jim and the boys did. Jim said it was an amazing talk and he looked so excited to go on his mission! 

No comments: