Monday, June 11, 2012

162: road trip day 2





This is me sucking in as much as I could...slow and steady!







Day 2 started off with a nice campers breakfast at Denny's! I may have slept in a tent, but I wasn't about to get out a camp stove and truly ruff it! After breakfast we went down to glass beach.  It was formerly a dump site about 5o years ago. Since that time, all the glass that had been deposited there has broken and continues to tumble onto the shore. It's pretty cool to see all the glass mixed in with the rocks. It entertained Jayden for a long time! He was picking out a few favorites while the other boys climb rocks. Next it was on through the Redwood forest. The trees were absolutely majestic! I took at least 5o pictures of just trees..I narrowed it down for the blog. We even attempted, successfully, driving through a 2,400 year old tree in my beast. We touched a couple times but we didn't scratch the paint. We were very slow and steady. We took the scenic highway: Avenue of the Giants. It was beyond cool..we pulled the car over a few times and the boys just ran through the groves of trees {and may have even taken a potty break on a few of them}. We drove, quickly, through the town of Eureka. Skyler has been saying for years that he wants to live there someday, so I had to drive him through it. I believe he has changed his mind.  The only thing worth seeing was the Carson mansion..but I did find a penny smashing machine!
We continued our drive up the coast. We found this giant Paul Bunyan statue at the Trees of Mystery {about 20 miles south of Crescent City}. We decided to call it a night in Crescent City..one of the last towns before the Oregon border. 

No comments: