Thursday, August 22, 2013

234: barcelona day 2

Barcelona Day 2
{warning...lots of pictures}
{night time view..it kinda looks like drip sand castles}


I'll go to any length to get a great picture! I'm loving looking through Jim's photos..I had no idea he took so many pictures on his phone.  He's really good a capturing these kind of moments.
 Outside the most intricate building I have ever seen:  Sagrada Familia..a church dreamt up by Gaudi! It's in a never ending state of construction. The goal is to finish by 2026..the 100th anniversary of Gaudi's death. If you ever go to Barcelona, this is an absolute must see!! 


We could have starred at this building all day and still not seen even 1/2 of it.  The craftsmanship is insane. Symbolism is oozing out of every piece of marble!

 The morning sun rays flooded through the beautiful stained glass windows. It was quite a sight!
A view of the city, from the top of the tower of Sagrada Familia.

 Park Guell..another mastermind of Gaudi.


So many interesting folks around this town!
Long live the Pink Panther!
 My favorite souvenir..a new smashed penny/EURO to add to my growing collection! I get such a thrill when we find a machine. 
When I'm exploring, I walk fast!  I can't help it..I'm so excited, I want to see everything.  This was a picture of Jim's view most the day. He just couldn't keep up {more so because he was texting and instagraming..I took a 2 week vacation from my phone and loved it!}

 This arc is fashioned after the one in Paris, which is fashioned after the one in Italy, which is fashioned by another arc somewhere else. Imitation is the sincerest form of compliment!
 I loved this street performer! So original.

There was graffiti everywhere, but it was artistic tagging!  I loved all the colors and thought they made fantastic backdrops. Apparently it must be legal to do graffiti, because we watched a man set up his 30+ bottles of spray paint and go to town, all while cops were strolling the area.
 The magic fountain show..we didn't realize that the entire population of Barcelona would be there!  It was more crowded than a rock concert! There was a lady, smashed in next to us, on a 25 ft. wall just dangling her baby on her lap. One wrong bump, and that baby would be a goner.  I was getting so anxious that I finally told Jim we had to leave! I thought I was going to have a heart attack, and I'm the furtherest thing from paranoid. It takes a lot to ruffle my feathers, but not loving heights and seeing this, I couldn't take it!
Just loved that there was a random owl on top of this building.

Thinking we probably walked at least 15 miles today!! We love exploring cities by foot.

No comments: