Sunday, August 25, 2013

237: florence, italy


Day 5
Florence, Italy

We knew it was going to take some time to get to Florence. When our boat docked, we were the first ones off. We ran to the train station and took a 1 1/2 train ride into Florence. Fortunately for us, we had been there before and didn't feel the need to do everything. We only had about 4 hrs. {after we subtracted the  train ride} to explore. It was just as incredible as it was the first time. It was a Sunday so it was pretty crowded with locals and tourists. Jim's main goal was to get some new ties! We didn't do much shopping this trip. Too much to see and do to waste it scouring in the marketplaces. I found my smashed "Euro" machines, Christmas ornaments, and a few nativities, but outside of the normal souvenirs, nothing much.



 Duomo..it's just fun to say!


Baptistry doors..
East doors, the Gates of Paradise(Lorenzo Ghiberti) : 1. Adam and Eve 2.Cain and Abel 3. Noah 4. Abraham 5. Isaac with Esau and Jacob 6. Joseph 7. Moses 8.Joshua 9. David 10. Solomon and the Queen of Sheba.

  This is a replica..we did not have time to go to the Academia to see the real one but,you've seen one David, you've seen them all.  I might be showing my ignorance here, but I didn't realize, till this trip, that the famous David statue was David from the Bible, as in "David and Goliath". Did they teach me nothing in my humanities class?
 Lovers Locks along the Ponte Vecchio..apparently there is a 150 Euro fine if they catch you making such declaration of your love. By the number of locks that I saw, they are lovers in this country and turn a blind eye!
According to local legend in Florence, if you and your lover attach a lock to the gate surrounding the bust of famed goldsmith and sculptor Benvenuto Cellini, and throw the key into the Arno river below, your love will be eternal.
 Amazing street artists everywhere..I just wondered how incredibly frustrated I would be if a big rain shower came and washed all this labor literally down the drain! {we did get a few sprinkles, but nothing substantial}
 Nevermind that this shirt makes me look like I'm 300 lbs., {terrible angel Jim and the wind was not in my favor}, the folklore states, rub the boars nose and you'll return to Florence. Hey, it worked with the Trevi fountain in Rome, so I did it! 
This statue was outside the market place. Jim couldn't wait to hit the ties. The ones we picked up the last time we were here were his favorites, same with my dad. I broke down and bought a leather jacket. I wanted to 6 years ago when we were here, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend the money! I regretted it when I got home. Not this time..I love it and can't wait for it to get cold.
 Ponte Vecchio
Playing with the fun, new settings on my camera.
Hiked up to Michelangelo Park for this amazing skyline view of Florence.



No comments: